Thursday, June 24, 2010

We have our second WELL

Thank you to the generous person that donated money to the co-op for Metamorphic this week, over $500 so after this weeks shop we have enought for our second well. You have truely blessed a community for life.

So I have just finished the fruit part of this weeks shop and we have a great variety of fruit for you.
Pears, Bananas, Apples, Mandarins, Oranges, and one of either Red Papaya, Pinapple, or Custard Apples.


If you haven't eated Custard Apples before, give one a go; they need to be eaten when they are soft like a grape. Cut the fruit in half and take any hard centre out, after that just pull bits of the fruit off It will come off in small pieces that have a seed inside about 2cm long.

As for the pears if you can get to them before the kids, try stewing them.

Pears in wine

red or wine wine, with a cinnamon quill, 1/2 cup or less of sugar and a vanilla pod or essence for about 10 mins then serve warm with custard.

Rachelle got tomatoes this week for us, they look lots better than they did last week. We also have beetroot ( try it baked next time you do a roast) and silverbeet, plus the usually stock items.

Well have an awesome week and please put some recipe ideas up, we always need new ideas

4 comments:

  1. Beetroot is awesome cubed with other rot veg (e.g. pumpking, sweet potatoe, red capsicum etc) slow roast tossed with olive oil, balsamic, some nice herbs and whole garlic cloves. When its cooked, toss through some rocket (also in this weeks box)and some goats or fetta cheese.
    I did not get lettuce this week as I have had lots of requests to leave it out. For those of you not wanting to make salads with the rocket, try tossing it though cooked pasta with halved cherry tomatoes, fetta cubes, parmesan chards and/or baby spinach/cube roast pumpkin/salami...yum. Also great on pizza...
    I've been told red papaya is great with lime! thanks for this tip Rege!

    Had heaps of fun this week, hope you like your boxes

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, so I was a bit hesitant about the custard apple having had a bad experience in the past, but determined to give it another go. The instructions on the box say not to refridgerate until very soft, so its in my fruit bowl. Apparently it has to be really soft, I even heard 'black' before you eat it- Beth said maybe not for a week....
    I'll let you know when I've braved it-

    Ok, and I have to share this amazing pasta I made last night...
    I cut up some pumpkin, red capsicum and red onion I had left from last trip, I chucked in 12 whole cloves of garlic and drizzed it all with olive oil and salt and mixed it round. Then I roasted it til it was all golden. Then I tossed this through pasta with about 200g fetta cut up and a hanful of rocket. The result... couldn't stop eating it, give it a go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, hey Beth or Josh, is there any way where you can make it so everyone reads all the comments without having to click on the 'comments' tab- can you do like a forum or something on a blog???

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok, so just tried the papaya with lime, definately better than papaya without lime- very nice actually, thanks to everyone for helping me out with this!

    ReplyDelete